Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Thursday, August 1, 2013

What To Google To Get The Government To Show Up At Your House

He travels to Asia for work. She looks up pressure cookers online. And God only knows what their 20-year-old son Googles. That combination, apparently, is how you get a "joint terrorism task force" to show up at your door on Long Island:
That’s when I felt a sense of creeping dread take over. What else had I looked up? What kind of searches did I do that alone seemed innocent enough but put together could make someone suspicious? Were they judging me because my house was a mess (Oh my god, the joint terrorism task force was in my house and there were dirty dishes in my sink!). Mostly I felt a great sense of anxiety. This is where we are at. Where you have no expectation of privacy. Where trying to learn how to cook some lentils could possibly land you on a watch list. Where you have to watch every little thing you do because someone else is watching every little thing you do. 
All I know is if I’m going to buy a pressure cooker in the near future, I’m not doing it online. 
I’m scared. And not of the right things.

No comments:

Post a Comment