Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Friday, December 6, 2013

Nelson Mandela’s Epitaph, in His Own Words

Mother Jones: In 1964 Mandela and eight other defendants had been charged with violating the Sabotage Act and the Suppression of Communism Act, accused of plotting violence against the apartheid government with the aim of overthrowing it. In court, he gave an epic 60 page, 176 minute speech which he believed might be his last.  Here are the final lines:
During my lifetime I have dedicated my life to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons will live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal for which I hope to live for and to see realized. But, My Lord, if it needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die.

No comments:

Post a Comment