Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Why Books Remain Unread

From Abe Books :

A list of reasons why we read some of the books in our piles, but leave other to gather dust. I'm going to use some of these the next time my husband complains about my stack. :) I've excerpted my favorite, but as they say, read the whole thing.

Remaining Unread: The Top Ten Reasons We Don’t Get to Certain Books

7. The siren call of the bargain bin.When we're standing right there, and a book costs $2, and it has a UKRAINIAN SPY with an OMINOUS MOUSTACHE, and a TORRID LOVE RHOMBUS and a SUSPICIOUS DASCHUND in it, it's difficult to not grab it on the spot - after all, it's cheaper than a fancy coffee. And oh man - suspicious daschund. Good times guaranteed. Even the covers tempt me. A woman in a silver leotard, draped unconscious in the arms of a swarthy astronaut, while the rings of Saturn loom behind? How can it NOT be good? And such a steal! But when you do this a lot - and Lord, I do this a lot - it's amazing how quickly they build up, and sit there, judging you, accusing you, when you walk down the hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment