Amazon Deals

New at Amazon

Monday, March 11, 2013

The Case Against Government Bans on Feeding the Homeless

Read the whole thing:
I mention Elijah’s selflessness and generosity toward me and these two men for this startling reason: While Elijah’s act of sharing food with me would be legal virtually anywhere in this country, his decision to feed the homeless men who ate with us could be illegal in many cities today. The reason for this dramatic discrepancy boils down to this fact alone: I slept with a roof over my head, but the others slept under the stars.
Such illogic has led cities like New York City, Philadelphia, and Houston to ban residents from sharing food with the homeless and less fortunate. I called such laws “unconstitutional, discriminatory, and wrongheaded” in a column I wrote over the summer. They remain so.
But since I wrote that widely read column in June, I’ve noticed a welcome pattern emerging. These unjust laws are under attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment